Question:

From Charenton, Louisiana, USA:

My 11 year old granddaughter is very short and has been overweight most of her life. She doesn't exercise and eats eat mostly high carb food. I watched her consume 700 calories for breakfast then move on to lunch and supper plus snacks. There is a family history of diabetes on both sides so I am concerned that this child is on her way to developing diabetes herself. How many calories should a child who is a couch potato consume?

Answer:

I appreciate your concern. There is a growing prevalence of overweight children and resulting type 2 diabetes. I would recommend that your granddaughter (and you or an adult) meet with a pediatric registered dietitian to develop a meal plan for weight loss. Combining a sensible meal plan with regular exercise can assist with weight management and prevent or delay type 2 diabetes, especially with your strong family history. Talk with your family physician if you need a referral to an RD.

JMS