From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

I have been taking insulin for 11 years, and last week, my family doctor did a blood test which showed that I do produce insulin. He prescribed oral medication, halted the insulin injections, and my blood sugars are fine. What ill or good effects did taking insulin for 11 years have?

Using insulin over the past 11 years most likely had no ill effects unless you had frequent hypoglycemia. Your physician is probably considering insulin resistance as part of your problem and is trying to use the oral hypoglycemic agents to improve this. Sometimes they work, and sometimes insulin is required in addition to these agents.

One should not look at insulin as a harmful agent. In most cases; insulin is the preferred choice of treatment and the most effective. I would continue to follow-up with your physician and I hope everything continues to improve.