Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

As others have written, I also believe there is a connection between Accutane and diabetes. I was on it five years prior to being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I have also had discussions with three people who took Accutane prior to being diagnosed. I also have spoken with two people who were on it 5-10 years prior to having babies, and their babies developed type 1 diabetes within the first 24 months. None of these people have family history of it. I bet a lot of people have not even thought of the connection, and I think there are a lot more cases than reported. How many people have to be diagnosed before they admit there is a connection between taking Accutane and type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

Extremely severe acne, which justifies treatment with Accutane, is not uncommon, and the same can be said for type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes -- so it is statistically reasonable that the two conditions can occasionally exist together. There are no reports that I know of (e.g., DAISY) that link the two biochemically or immunologically, and it would be a considerable task under these circumstances to prove a cause and effect. You would have to show the incidence of this kind of diabetes was substantially higher in a number of subjects who received Accutane than in the controls. However, to be convincing, you would also need to show that the two groups had a comparable susceptibly to diabetes genetically, and the much more difficult that the two groups had been exposed to the same environmental triggers in their early life, which would be impossible task since we don't yet know what these triggers are.