Question:

From a child life specialist in Austin, Texas, USA:

I am providing education to patients with newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and while I currently have a few books that I use for education to help patients and siblings (ages preschool to school age), I'm having a difficult time finding children's books explaining diabetes for the Spanish speaking population. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer:

Many of the handouts on the American Diabetes Association Wizdom are in Spanish. Also, An Instructional Aid on Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus, a book for children with diabetes, written by Dr Luther Travis, is available in Spanish.

BS

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

There are several. Search this site, and contact your local American Diabetes Association affiliate. You might also contact the endocrine/diabetes sections of the local/regional teaching hospitals.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

The Children's Diabetes Foundation at Denver publishes an educational coloring book for small children in Spanish.