Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

If I continue to monitor my son's blood sugars five to six times per day and maintain meals, snacks, and insulin is the possibility of a severe hypoglycemic episode rare?

Answer:

The better the monitoring and attention paid to balancing insulin, meal planning, and activities, the better the control. That said, the landmark DCCT showed that intensive therapy, with a goal to keep glucose levels at the target range, there still was a threefold increase in the number of episodes of hypoglycemia. However, that study is more than 10 years old, and we now have experience with other basal insulins and insulin pumps that do not have "peaking effects." So wide fluctuations in glucose can be limited -- but never eliminated.