From Albany Creek, Brisbane, Australia:

I recently stopped doing my injections. I was diagnosed about a year ago, and all the doctors thought I was coping really well because I was doing everything myself (deciding how much insulin to have, doing my needles four times a day, testing my blood, exercising, eating well, etc.), but actually I'm not! I hate it, I hate people asking me about it, and I hate doing the needles, not because they hurt but because its annoying!

I have now come to my senses, and I'm trying to start my needles again, but I find I'm talking myself out of doing it, and I'm having trouble starting up again. I can't tell anyone because my parents will freak! Can you give me advice? Should I tell my doctor?

I am glad that you are trying to make positive changes. You absolutely should talk with your doctor and diabetes team -- not only to update them on your lapses, but more importantly to really relay your true feelings! While there is no way around "getting injections", there are a variety of tools or aids or devices that might ease this burden for you. For example, there is now Alternate Site Testing that allows for smaller amounts of blood and sampling from your arm rather than your fingers. There are devices, such as the Inject-EaseŽ that can make the needle injection of insulin less scary. There are other types of insulin dosing devices to make insulin injections easier, and of course, if you are skilled and motivated, you may be a candidate for an insulin pump.

I think that your parents do need to know but do talk with your diabetes team. Good luck.

Posted to Behavior