Question:

From Croydon, Surrey, United Kingdom:

My father (who lives in Zimbabwe) has advised me that he has a 'crack' on his under foot (between the fourth and baby toe), and he is in immense pain to the point that he cannot stand at all. In addition, he has had severe headaches for the past four to five days. Can you please advise what he should do (considering that there is a dire shortage of medication in Zimbabwe and travel to doctors difficult as there is no petrol to get there!)?

Answer:

There are many possible reasons why your father is in that much pain. However, no matter what the reason, he needs immediate medical attention. Infections in toes and feet can spread quickly in people with diabetes and could lead to a loss of his leg if not treated.

JS

Posted to Aches and Pains