Question:

From Athens, Georgia, USA:

Two weeks ago, my six year old niece who weighs 97 pounds went to the doctor, who told my brother and his wife that she has prediabetes. I am concerned about her because she is not getting the proper nutrition she needs to combat the problem. My mother watches my niece after school and on weekends, and I would like to know if there anything she can do to help her to lower her blood sugar.

Answer:

Having a well balanced diet is always best with plenty of servings of fresh fruits and vegetables. I would encourage you to advise your brother and his wife also follow any additional advice the pediatrician has given.

[Editor's comment: I would suggest that you encourage your brother and his wife to ask for a referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal plans for children. Such an individual can help them devise a meal plan based on optimizing blood glucose control and promoting normal growth and development. Your niece's lifestyle and food preferences can be incorporated into a health eating plan for the entire family. SS]