From Acton, California, USA:

My 15 year old girlfriend lives in an abusive household with a single mother. When I questioned her mother about the bruises she leaves on her face and the broken bones, she says that it is because she has diabetes and behavior disorders come from that. She said that whenever her blood sugar goes way down, she gets violent and she will attempt to injure herself. However, I have been around her when her blood sugar has gotten to low levels, and she just gets dizzy or passes out. There is never anger, let alone self-inflicted abuse. Is it possible that this is actually happening or is it just her mother using her disorder as a scapegoat? Her injuries have been very severe and the problem continues to escalate. What is going on?

You are correct. This has nothing to do with diabetes. Ideally, you should go to the police with your girlfriend and report this. It is illegal and cruel. If your girlfriend will not do this, then you should discuss this with your parents or with an adult who you trust -- school, religious organization, community organization.

Posted to Other Social Issues