Question:

From Mill Hall, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am 49 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall, and I weigh 140 pounds. Twenty years ago, I underwent surgery, and enough of my small intestine was taken that the doctor was concerned that I would need vitamin B12 shots the rest of my life. Sixteen years ago, I had gestational diabetes which required insulin, and now I have type 2 diabetes. My C-peptide was normal. Could the missing small and/or large bowel be contributing to my insulin resistance?

Answer:

No, I do not think that is the cause for your diabetes. However, note that you had gestational diabetes which is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes later on.