Question:

From Himatnager, Gujrat, India:

I am a teenager with type 1 diabetes. Two months ago, I was hospitalised and my total treatment and schedule changed. First problem -- urine stored in bladder; up to 60% not voiding completely. The doctor recommended for catheter but infection in urine started and put in a suprapubic catheter but infection was still not controlled, and I was admitted into a kidney hospital and had my first dialysis two months ago and second blood dialysis soon after, and I was unconscious for a while.

Answer:

I am not completely certain I understand your question. The information you provide suggests that there is now evidence of kidney failure. While kidney failure certainly can result with diabetes, it is much more often a consequence of very poorly controlled diabetes for many years, so I wonder if there is something else going on.

I think you should ask your doctors:

1. What does a kidney biopsy show?
  2. What have the hemoglobin A1c values been?
  3. Are you followed by a kidney specialist?