Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I have type 1 diabetes. I have been participating in weight training and various cardiovascular exercises, and yoga at a gym for the past 18 months, yet I have not lost any weight. I find that I have to keep stuffing myself to keep my blood sugars up, and I am unable to keep them "up" after reactions now. I do not want to stop because psychologically I feel better Is there a way to treat these that discourages weight gain and gets them to the level needed? Any ideas would be helpful.

Answer:

I would promote physical activity, as long as you can continue safely. A more systematic approach needs to be taken to understand why you get low in the first place. You need to make sure you follow through with the usual requests, such as regular meal times, regular insulin administration without missing doses, keep to a schedule as much as possible, do not eat outrageous meals, and check your sugars regularly. The low is severe enough that the over treatment with insulin is outlasting your treatment of the condition with oral glucose.

[Editor's comment: It's not clear if you're down-adjusting your insulin doses to compensate for the increased exercise. Be sure to discuss guidelines for insulin adjustment with your diabetes team. WWQ]

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Exercise and Sports