From Smyrna, Delaware, USA:

My son's mother had end-stage renal disease, and is on dialysis three times per week. My son currently lives with his mother, and right now I am trying to get joint custody. I am concerned because is overweight and does not exercise on a regular basis. When he is with me we go swimming, he rides his bike and I monitor what he eats. What are his chances of getting type 2 diabetes? What can I do to try to prevent this?

Obesity is a significant risk factor for getting type 2 diabetes, especially with a strong family history of the disease. Intervening now to improve his lifestyle, diet and activity level is important in decreasing his risk for diabetes.

[Editor's comment: See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]