Question:

From Macedon, New York, USA:

My brother was recently put on insulin once per day, and because of the initial fear and pain of the needle and subsequent injections, he prefers to use a site on the sides of his thighs where he currently is experiencing some numbness. Is it okay to administer the insulin in these numb areas?

Answer:

I would be concerned about the numbness and the cause, and I would look for other areas to inject his insulin. The absorption may not be affected, but it would be best if he used other areas. The numbness should be evaluated by his physician.

ABS