Question:

From Washington, USA:

I am 35 weeks along in my pregnancy, and I am very worried. I fasted for the one-hour test, even though I didn't know I didn't have to fast. I drank the glucose, and waited an hour. My doctor called me last night, said my blood sugar was 156 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L] and he doesn't like it to be over 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. So now I have to go in for the three-hour test. I don't exercise enough, but I think I eat right. Is this accurate? I need a second opinion.

Answer:

You are correct in that you do not have to fast before the one-hour glucose test. However, if you do, it probably makes the test more sensitive in screening for diabetes. The value of 156 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L] is significant, and the proper next step is the three-hour test.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes