Question:

From Lexington, Kentucky, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for over 32 years (since five years of age), I have always been in good control, and suffer I from only very minor retinopathy (never requiring laser surgery). In the past 10-12 years, I have gained at least 30 extra pounds, but this weight gain has never resulted in worse control of my diabetes as I have been able to maintain A1c levels that have always been around 6% or less.

In the last 10 months, I have lost about 20 pounds mainly because of switching to Lantus and NovoLog (I can eat when I want. If I'm not hungry, I simply don' t eat), but I haven't noticed any change in how I monitor by blood sugars (four to six times per day) or in how many injections I take (three to four per day). I know I'm healthier by losing weight, but my daily routine hasn't changed at all. Taking less insulin as a result of weight loss isn't easier, it's just different. Actually losing weight caused extra trouble as my Lantus needs changed (albeit at a gradual rate) and required even more stringent monitoring.

Why do physicians always make the comment that losing weight makes diabetes easier to control? What's easier? Am I missing something? Do physicians really mean to say, "Weight loss makes your general health better and results in less strain on your body that is already under stress from diabetes."?

Answer:

The comment is geared toward from those who are overweight and more insulin resistant which may require more insulin and possibly other medications for blood pressure and cholesterol. I dont think that routinely taking insulin lifetime is easy for anyone. Obviously, You have learned to adjust your dosing accordingly.

AML

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Daily Care