Question:

From Keyser, West Virginia, USA:

I have been having some medical problems, and since my family has a history of diabetes, my doctor wanted me to have the sugar diabetes test done at the hospital. I went, drank the liquid, and started the test, but halfway through. I got very sick and vomited. I told the nurse who stopped the test right then. I was sick for almost two days and don't feel I can redo the test. Does this mean anything?

Answer:

Many people have difficulty tolerating the drink for the glucose tolerance test, but this has nothing to do with whether or not you have diabetes. If you don't feel you can tolerate the test again with the glucose drink, ask your doctor to do a fasting blood sugar (drawn first thing in the morning and you have nothing to eat or drink for at least eight hours before the test). If the result is over 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L], you may have prediabetes, and if over 125 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L] you may have diabetes.

JS