Question:

From Boaz, Alabama, USA:

My 35 year old husband has had type 1 diabetes for almost four years, and recently his triglyceride level was 365 mg/dl, but his hemoglobin A1c was 5.5%. The doctor put him on Tricor and fish oil and wants to see him again in two months.

. I am really concerned about this, and I don't understand what could cause this when he has such good sugar. What would this indicate to you?

Answer:

There are a number of primary genetic (familial) abnormalities that can cause hypertriglyceridemia. Elevated blood sugars are a secondary cause for elevated triglycerides, and the level is not elevated dramatically.

It sounds like the physician is taking it seriously. Two agents is aggressive therapy. However, in diabetes, it may be warranted as elevated triglycerides may be a cardiovascular risk factor in that group. This is especially true because elevated triglycerides lower HDL-cholesterol (the good cholesterol). The level of 365 mg/dl might be adequately treated with one drug, but two should normalize the problem. Other causes of elevated triglycerides include obesity and some medications. Treatment with Tricor warrants having the liver enzymes followed. Other than that, it sounds like reasonable therapy.