From White Plains, New York, USA:

I have had diabetes for over 30 years, have gradually gained weight over the years, and now I am about 30 pounds overweight. I have tried dieting but have not been able to stick to it, and I have heard of the South Beach Diet, which is currently "hot". Is that appropriate for people with type 1 diabetes?

I am not familiar with this diet, but my first response is that this is another fad diet and does not get at the heart of the underlying problem. I suggest you get a referral to a registered dietitian well versed in diabetes, who can assist you in developing a meal plan to meet your weight loss and blood sugar goals.