Question:

From Coolinsville, Oklahoma, USA:

Ever since I had a baby ( four and a half months ago), I have had a bladder infection. When I had insurance, the doctor gave me all kinds of prescriptions, but nothing is working. All the medicine is gone and I hurt so bad!

Please someone help me. I was laid off, and now the specialists won't even talk to me without insurance. I am trying to keep my blood sugar under control without help as best as possible alone. Is there any way of curing this problem at home? When does the pain ever end?

Answer:

The bottom line is you need medical treatment and fast. If you are in that much pain, you should go to the emergency room -- where they have to treat you. Otherwise, call local hospitals and find out if they have a clinic. Clinic fees often are based on ability to pay. As a longer range plan, you may be eligible for Medicaid since you are not working, and you have a chronic illness. I hope you get the help you need quickly.

JS

Additional comments from Dr. Jill Weissberg-Benchell:

People without insurance or jobs are eligible for Medicaid, so there should not be any problems with access to medical care -- although it takes time to go to the Medicaid office and fill out the forms (a lot of time). Her baby is also eligible for free Medicaid, and the mom is also probably eligible for WIC programs.

JWB