Question:

From Corte Madera, California, USA:

I just read on the Internet that soy may lead to numerous illnesses in the future, and specifically, one article said that children with type 1 diabetes were twice as likely to have been fed soy as infants. I am very concerned because I could not breast feed and gave my son soy formula from birth to one year since our doctor did not have a preference. The closest relatives he has with type 1 diabetes are an aunt and a cousin, plus numerous other relatives on both sides of the family. It's too late now, but if there's a positive side to this, I'd love to know. What is the latest regarding soy formula and the development of diabetes?

Answer:

For many years early exposure to cow's milk was thought to be one of the environmental factors that could precipitate clinical type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes in those who are genetically susceptible, but after years of conflicting trials, several recent reports have clearly shown that this is not the case. There has been one study showing that soy milk formula was more common in one group of new onset cases of type 1A, but there was no evidence at all that soy formula had any effect in initiating diabetes. In other words, I don't think it is of any consequence whether you used cow's milk or soy formula for feeding in infancy.