Question:

From Berwyn, Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, takes Paxil [an antidepression medication]. We have just increased her dosage, and there seems to be a corresponding increase in her blood sugar readings. Is it possible that Paxil could contribute to this?

Answer:

The manufacturer describes hyperglycemia as a "rare" side effect of Paxil. Weight gain is described as a "frequent" side effect. I think that clinically, it is not uncommon to see some of the selective serotonin uptake inhibitors such as Paxil lead to increased appetite and weight gain. For the individual with diabetes or predisposition to diabetes, this may manifest with higher glucose readings.

One balances out the benefits of the medication with its risks. It seems easy to adjust insulin upwards -- or better yet to really watch the meal intake and increase the activities.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other Medications