From Pennsylvania, USA:

My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and currently prefers to go to the nurse's office to check his blood sugar. However, I am reading more and hearing more about children testing at their desks in the classroom. Is it an individual choice for the student? Is it an individual choice for the school? I suppose it could be viewed as a double edge sword when considering the child with diabetes and the child without -- the whole "blood" thing and where does one person's rights start and another one's end. I say, as long as what you are doing does not put another person at risk, you have that right. You can smoke, but blow that smoke in my face and your right ends. I guess I see things in that fashion -- as long as a child is responsible.. Can school/college deny a child/young adult the opportunity to test blood sugars at their desk in the classroom?

I think the business of testing in class is best approached through negotiation with all concerned, although the American Diabetes Association does have a pamphlet on the impact of the 'Americans with Disabilities Act' on children with diabetes in school. Testing in the nurse's office is fine provided there is a nurse there and provided it doesn't take too much time from class. Boys, in particular, have been known to need to test at the sight of algebra. On the other hand, testing in class may understandably upset other children, but we have found that a good compromise is to have the nurse or the teacher give a very short explanation of diabetes to the class and of the need to test. It helps too if the child with diabetes can use one of the Alternate Site Testing devices that use a minimal amount of blood.

Posted to School and Daycare