From Pennsylvania, USA:

My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I just read something in your question and answer section on the "dead in bed syndrome." I didn't think I could be more freaked out and scared about nighttime hypoglycemia than I already was. I was wrong. Can you elaborate as to what this syndrome is?

The answer to that question gave a reference about The Dead in Bed Syndrome, but briefly, it is thought to be due to severe unanticipated hypoglycemia. (Interestingly, the use of Lantus has been shown to reduce the incidence of nocturnal hypoglycemia.)