Question:

From England:

My son has only recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and we are trying to ensure that we feed him the right balance of foods to avoid a hypo whilst he is asleep at night. We have been asked to check his glucose level at 3:00 am each day, and this is proving very draining to us. Are there comparison graphs available for carbohydrates to show their relative breakdown periods?

Answer:

The total amount of carbohydrate at a meal or snack, rather than the type of carbohydrate, affects blood sugars most. It is important for persons with diabetes to match insulin dosages with a proper amount of carbohydrate. Food choices from the starch/bread group, fruit group, milk group, and sweets should be spread out during the day and combined with lean protein choices and healthier fats.

JMS

[Editor's comment: How a particular food will effect a blood sugar can vary greatly because of individual differences and day to day changes in a variety of things. Trial and error is the only way to see what works best for your child.

As far as 3:00 checks go, I suspect you'll be able to back off for a while after insulin doses are stabilized. However, I do know many parents who get up every night even after living with diabetes for years. Pain that it is, blood glucose monitoring is the only way right now to really see what is going on so that adjustments can be made as needed. Not monitoring is sort of like driving your car without a speedometer. The more you check, the better your child's will be. SS]