Question:

From Montana, USA:

A year ago, my now 11 year old and my eight year old were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, three months apart, and they are currently on a Lantus with Humalog regimen, but we are researching switching to insulin pump therapy. The older child (diagnosed second) is much better controlled and has really started to do own his care. The younger one cognitively lags behind and prefers to be cared for due to the age difference. We feel switching the older child only, may anger and set the younger up for dependency. Should we get the pump for both at the same time, simply keep the younger under our wing, and hope he becomes more independent? Or, should we keep his regimen as is until he arrives at that place? Also, we are curious about pumps that also monitor blood sugar and infuse insulin based on that reading.

Answer:

It is a tough question. Your eight year old needs constant help, and actually so does your 11 year old. Don't make the mistake of giving and expecting too much independence after all, you still wash the clothes and fix meals. I would probably do both at once and manage both.

The pumps that also monitor blood sugar and infuse insulin based on that reading are attractive, but still new. I have some patients using them, and they do like them.

Posted to Insulin Pumps