From Moorestown, New Jersey, USA:

My ex-son-in-law has custody of our grandson one night per week and one week per year. My daughter has good control over our grandson's blood sugar with regulating intake and insulin, but when he is with his father, the readings are consistently in the 200-500 mg/dl [11.1-27.8 mmol/L] range. The father balks at guidance from my daughter and believes low blood sugar is the danger, not high. Can you provide advice/articles I can forward to him about the risks/consequences of high blood sugar levels?

The best place for such articles are in Diabetes Forecast. If you want some more depth, Insulin-Dependent Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Adults - How to become an expert on your own diabetes by Ragnar Hanas as well as Understanding Diabetes by Peter Chase are both excellent. It would also probably be very helpful to suggest that he and his ex-wife both schedule a specific consultation appointment with the diabetologist working with your grandchild so that this question can be addressed and everyone's questions answered to explain the discrepancy between both households.

Posted to Other Social Issues