From North Carolina, USA:

My daughter takes NPH, and I recently read that it contains protamine, a substance that may not be good for her. It says that protamine may stimulate the immune system to make antibodies to the insulin which could release the insulin at a time when it's not necessary. I will discuss this at my next doctor's appointment, but would like your opinion also.

NPH contains protamine, which is used to slow down the insulin absorption compared to Regular insulin, and has been in use since for more than 50 years with an excellent safety record. All insulins when injected produce antibodies. So, generally, make decisions based upon how the blood glucose levels are responding rather than theoretical antibody production. With the excellent safety and purity record of current insulins, there are not major reasons for worry.