From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I understand one of the biggest obstacles of islet cell transplantation is the need for life long immunosuppression. Where does research stand in terms of encapsulated islet cell transplant? I have read on multiple articles of MEDLine that show promising research with animal models. Is human testing a possibility in the near future?

Lots of research is ongoing, but there remains much to be done and worked out. Lack of governmental support for promising stem cell research is one of the biggest obstacles since so much research comes from government funds (i.e., NIH). No definite time table for when any of these advances will take place.

Posted to Transplants