Question:

From Miami, Florida, USA:

A year ago, my daughter had a blood sugar in the high 90s [mg/dl, 5 mmol/L], a cholesterol of 200 mg/dl, and a triglyceride in the 100 mg/dl range. Last week, repeat testing showed a blood sugar of 103 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L], a cholesterol of 212 mg/dl, and a triglyceride of 133 mg/dl. I heard there is a link between high sugar and high triglycerides.

Do you think she may have prediabetes? What can I do to avoid her developing diabetes? Where can I get information on diets?

Answer:

This does not sound like diabetes but is on the high side of the normal range for fasting blood glucose levels. If she is overweight, then the key prevention treatment is to get her closer to ideal body weight: less calories and more daily activity always works even if she has "slow metabolism." Same things usually work for high lipids.

[Editor's comment: You may want to ask for a referral to a pediatric dietitian. This individual is the best person to help you design an appropriate meal plan for your daughter. SS]