Question:

From New Haven, Connecticut, USA:

I am 16 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for a little over nine years, and lately I have been getting pains in my arms and in my legs, mostly at night. I have well controlled blood sugars on my pump and a good A1c. What can this pain I get be from? Why does it mainly occur at night?

Answer:

It does not sound like this is related to your diabetes, but you should ask your doctor and nurse to check it out and be sure. There are some blood tests that can be done to be sure that there is no other obvious cause (for example, thyroid problems, salt imbalance, iron deficiency, Addison's disease, pernicious anemia, or pinched nerves). Sometimes sudden high or very low sugars will cause odd symptoms so you may want to check blood glucose levels when you are having these pains.

Posted to Aches and Pains