Question:

From Chickasha, Oklahoma, USA:

I have been trying to get a pump for about a year now. My insurance won't cover it, and the manufacturer tells me I would have to pay the $7, 000 out of my pocket which I can't afford. Is there any organization that can help me get a pump?

Answer:

You may want to talk to your physician and nurse to see why the insulin pump was rejected by your insurance company. And you may also want to talk to an experienced health-care lawyer so that you can know about your rights.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

Unfortunately, there are few resources that will be available to you. The Lions Clubs have a history of assisting people with diabetes, but you are a unique case in that you appear to have some resources available to you.

DSH

Additional comments from Dr. Linda DiMeglio:

I spoke with a representative of the pump manufacturer in question who replied as follows:
We do offer financial assistance to someone who qualifies for it. That is usually one of the first questions we ask, especially with someone that doesn't have insurance.

LAD

Posted to Insurance/Costs and Insulin Pumps