Question:

From St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA:

I started a new job which requires me to work from 3:00 pm-11:00 pm. I usually get to bed about l:00 am, get up at 6:00 am to let the dog out, and at this time I check my blood sugar. I usually am in the normal range, but when I arise for the day at l0:00 am, drink three cups of coffee, and then eat breakfast at 11:30 am. By that time, my blood sugars have risen dramatically. This morning, when I got ready for breakfast, it was over 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L], but earlier it was 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Can caffeine have that much of an effect on rising blood sugars?

Answer:

Caffeine can have an affect on blood sugars, but generally not that great as you indicate. Caffeine can increase catecholamines which are hormones that affect insulin. It could be, given your job requirements and sleep habits, that the dawn phenomenon is somewhat delayed in your case.

However, you do not indicate your medication regimen and when you take the doses -- which may be the area of concern. If your insulin or medication is not timed correctly, then one could have this wide variation.

ABS