From Alderholt, Hampshire, England:

My 10 year old grandson was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five years ago, and while visiting recently I found the eight year old to be very thin, have poor eating habits (only wants sweets and chocolate), and with a volatile temper. I asked my daughter if she had ever tested him and she said a random sugar level had been over 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L] several times, but that she was not worried because "he may have had sugar on his hands, and anyway his fasting sugar was always within normal limits".

She is an RN with vast knowledge about the disease, and I don't want to interfere, but she has not told her doctor, and I fear that she may be in denial -- afraid to admit that her remaining child may have the disease. Am I being silly? I live so far away (they live in Alaska) that I cannot keep a close eye on things. They have been told the second son has only a 5% chance of developing diabetes, but I am afraid for him

Of course you are worried, but your daughter is probably correct in her interpretation. Type 1 diabetes does not 'hide' for long, so if your grandson has it, then it will make itself obvious very soon. Since you are so far away, you can do little other than inquire after his health. Since your daughter is a nurse, she will seek advice if she's concerned.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity and Diagnosis and Symptoms