From Tampa, Florida, USA:

My seven year old son, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago, is doing pretty well, and his last hemoglobin A1c was 6.5%. However, he experienced a lot of lows during the summer when he was more active, and now that school has started, we are interested in the pump. I guess mainly for the ability to eat more freely, and my son hates getting shots.

The doctor is all for the pump, but not until he is out of the honeymoon stage. Is this because he does not use that much insulin? We are really struggling with the shots and meals now that he has started school. Is it possible to start on the pump before the honeymoon stage is over?

I would focus during this honeymoon period on learning as much as you can about carbohydrate/insulin ratios and corrective doses. These are things you'll have to know in order to use a pump effectively. Once you've mastered these, then your son will be able to eat more freely with or without a pump.

Posted to Insulin Pumps