From Michigan, USA:

My eight year old son has some of the warning symptoms of diabetes since last spring, and about four months ago, he was checked and his reading was 107 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L], but I was not told of the results at that time. His symptoms have gotten worse this summer, and I am wondering why I was told that his glucose level was elevated before. If he had symptoms and his blood sugar was high, shouldn't a treatment have been started? Should I see another doctor?

The value previously found of 107 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] is a normal blood sugar level. If your son has persistent symptoms of diabetes, I would review it with your pediatrician.

[Editor's comment: See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for more information on what is a normal blood sugar value. WWQ]