Question:

From Texas, USA:

My sister does not have diabetes, but her husband has type 2, and they have been trying to have a child to no avail. The first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage in the fourth month of her pregnancy, and her second pregnancy ended up being a blighted ovum. What are the odds that this is being caused by my brother-in-law's diabetes?

Answer:

The probability of the problems arising from your brother-in-law's type 2 diabetes is low. However, with their lack of success, they should consult with their obstetrician about evaluating other male and female factors that may contribute to fetal loss.

Posted to Family Planning