Question:

From Guatemala, Central America:

Can you suggest a good diet plan for my friend, who is a 22 year old who has had diabetes since she was 11?

Answer:

I would advise that she schedule an appointment to meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in working with people who have diabetes. Meal planning for people with diabetes is much more individualized nowadays than in years past. An RD can help develop a meal plan that assists with obtaining optimal blood glucose control and work with her schedule and food preferences. She should ask her doctor for a referral if needed.

JMS