Question:

From Chico, California, USA:

I don't have medical insurance where I work and having private insurance costs to much for me to afford. However, insulin, syringes, and testing supplies are very expensive. I qualify for CMSP, but my monthly deductible is over $500. Are there plans or services I can use to get low or no cost diabetes supplies? Am I just out of luck and have to keep paying out of pocket?

Answer:

I do not know of any source of assistance for someone of your circumstances. My advice is to consider finding a job that offer health insurance. When you consider how much money you spend on diabetes stuff and how much better control of diabetes you could likely achieve if you did not have to worry about how to pay for your medical care, you could probably live longer, healthier and happier. To paraphrase the commercial; Job that offers health insurance; pays a little less every month. Medical insurance coverage: Priceless.

DSH

[Editor's comment: See Paying for diabetes expenses and Free Drugs. WWQ]

Posted to Insurance/Costs