Question:

From India: My sister, who has had diabetes for 17 years, has very good control and became a dentist. Now I want to know If she can marry and have a perfect life as any other person.

Answer:

It is my hope that all people with diabetes will get good care and be as healthy as possible. For that to occur, it is important that all people with diabetes have good long-term access to medical care. For women, one of the most common asked questions is whether they can have children. The answer to this is yes, and have beautiful, healthy children. However, the mom needs to have access to good care and issues regarding the pregnancy need to be discussed and managed before it actually happens. Control needs to be optimized before conception. Risk can be reduced to a level slightly above the general population, but not to the same point. Risk of chronic complications is best prevented with good blood sugar control. However, good access to an eye physician and close management of blood pressure and overall health is required.

[Editor's comment: See Planning a pregnancy , at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning