From a nurse in Lansdowen, Pennsylvania, USA:

I work in a pediatric unit and am looking for information regarding teaching plans for insulin injection and signs and symptoms of shock for children with type 1 diabetes. Of course this would also be directed at their families. I have recently been in this situation and did not have, I feel, the proper information or supplies for teaching.

There are some great resources and patient education materials at the . One other resource is the AADE' Core Curriculum, 5th edition.

[Editor's comment: Ideally, newly diagnosed children who have diabetes should be educated at a pediatric diabetes center where there is team of professionals (physicians, nurses, dietitians, mental health specialists, etc) with expertise in this arena. There are a number of excellent resources for children and their families. See Books and Videos for Children and Teens and Books for Parents, Adults and Older Kids. SS]