From Superior, Nebraska, USA:

My six year old daughter has had diabetes for over a year, and the doctors say the honeymoon period is over, but her blood sugars range from 50-480 mg/dl [2.8-26.7 mmol/L], and she weighs less than 50 pounds. They keep adjusting insulin levels, but it's not working. It has been over a year now, and we still can't get blood sugars stable yet. She had to get eyeglasses the other day, the doctors say although they can't be sure, there's a good chance the high blood sugars may have damaged her eyes.

When we found out she had diabetes, they told us the honeymoon period would last a year. It's been over a year, and her body is still kicking out high sugar levels. I don't understand why the blood sugar levels are not becoming somewhat stable. From what I understand, they should be okay by now, and they are not. Can you explain what's going on here?

As to the honeymoon period, you can first read a lot at our website which will explain more to you than just a few lines in this e-mail.

As to the other questions, I think what it is most important now is to assure your daughter the best metabolic control possible. To this aim, a pediatric team with enough experience in the care of children with diabetes is the best option, and the very first suggestion I can give to you. I don't think the inadequate metabolic control she might have had over this year should have affected her eyes. Don't delay good metabolic control too long though.

Posted to Daily Care and Honeymoon