From Dexter, Michigan, USA:

My child is having high blood glucose levels due to lack of exercise in school. Recess time has been reduced and frequently substituted with board games or seat work. Do you have any recommendations as to the amount, frequency, and type of exercise an eight year old should have during a school day?

I think that children should have exercise every day. However, whether they get that at school or at home is a matter of debate and logistics. If your child's school says that they are not providing it because of staff and budget issues, there may not be a lot you can do immediately. However, I would indicate to the school board and administration that the benefits of exercise are numerous. They help with concentration in the classroom, they help to burn off excess calories and keep students moving. For people with diabetes, it decreases insulin requirements.

Additional comments from Dr. Andrea Scaramuzza:

Any child should to exercise at least three times per week for 45-60 minutes, and every additional minute is a good thing. Exercise indeed could be beneficial for your child's glycemic control of your child, and I think that any kind of exercise he likes is good for him.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and School and Daycare