From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

I am 43 years old, nine months pregnant, and occasionally I do a urinalysis and have come up positive for alcohol on two separate occasions. The alcohol level is very low (0.027), and my glucose level is fine. I am a recovering alcoholic and have not had a drink for over two years.My doctors have no explanation for this, but I am wondering if it could have something to do with low blood sugar the day that I provide the urine sample or something that no one has yet been able to explain.

Alcohol can appear in your urine if you have diabetes, but it not necessarily diagnostic of diabetes unless you are in DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis]. However, with a low blood sugar, I would not expect this to happen.

The only other cause I can think of would be ingestion of alcohol. This does not always come from beverages. Lots of products use alcohol such as cough syrups, mouth wash, etc. There may have been something else you drank that resulted in the positive test. Otherwise, I have no explanation.

[Editor's comment: Your physicians should ask the laboratory to identify all possible reasons for "false positives" on the test, and then share the information with you. WWQ]