From Manchester, New Jersey, USA:

My mother recently discovered she has diabetes, but she does not have a diet to follow. She doesn't understand how or why she should count carbohydrates, and I can't help her because I don't know either. Can you supply a diet for her to follow or suggest a book? Can you also tell me why carbohydrates are so important?

Carbohydrates are important for people with diabetes to count and spread out during the day because carbohydrates affect postprandial blood sugars more than protein and fat. They affect blood sugars more quickly than protein and fat also.

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can develop an individualized meal plan to help your mother obtain optimal blood sugar control.