From Bidwell, Ohio, USA:

My boyfriend has diabetes and has no health insurance, and they won't give him a medical card. He cannot go to the doctor to get his medicine, and he cannot afford to pay for it. He has a hospital bill and cannot go back until he pays it? What can he do to be able to get his medicine and go to the doctor? I am very worried about him because he has been feeling really bad. I am scared that something is going to happen to him. Is there anything at all we can do?

Two options that come to mind:

1. Your friend should contact the local government social services agency to see if he qualifies for Medicaid.
  2. Your friend should take a job, any job, that offers health insurance.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Financial Aid and Paying for diabetes expenses at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Insurance/Costs