From West Virginia, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes several months ago, and my doctor says I more than likely have had it for several years and it went untreated. I now have my blood sugar levels pretty much under control (my last A1c: 6.8%), but I have recently started experiencing severe swelling, tenderness, pain, and tingling in my feet and lower legs. There are also red blotches, almost like a rash, on my feet, and I can feel some tiny knots under the skin on top of my left foot and ankle. Could this be related to the diabetes? How should I treat it?

I am sorry that I cannot conclusive define the cause of the skin symptoms. However, you cannot treat something until you know what it is. There are some skin symptoms that may have systemic implications. Although I am not sure this is from your type 2 diabetes, it could be from a drug rash to a medication you are taking. It could also result from inflammation or clots in superficial veins in the legs. Your physician needs to diagnose the problem first before a treatment can be advocated.

Posted to Aches and Pains