Question:

From Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and since my husband had some higher morning readings such as 130-135 mg/dl [7.2-7.5 mmol/L], I've pushed him to get his blood taken. His A1c was 6.1%, and his doctor said he is borderline. He just needs to watch his weight and exercise. How can this be? My last A1c was 5.1%, yet I am still considered to have diabetes. I'm confused.

Answer:

The hemoglobin A1c test is not considered the standard for the diagnosis of diabetes. In previous studies, it has been shown that the hemoglobin A1c is not sensitive for making the diagnosis.

It is preferable to have two fasting blood sugars greater than 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] (performed in a laboratory). Therefore, I would consider the current result inadequate for making a clinical decision. Future testing may suggest more than lifestyle intervention is necessary.