From Ongar, Essex, England:

My husband had a high sugar level along with double vision, and the hospital put it down to diabetes, but didn't say it was definite. He has been taking insulin injections, has lowered his blood count, and is eating a sensible diet. Will he be on insulin for ever? I don't think so because he has not got any other symptoms.

The double vision could be temporary because of the high blood sugar or it could be a number of other more permanent problems. I hope that your husband is under the care of an ophthalmologist to determine whether there are any eye problems that need treatment.

Your husband may or may not require insulin to control his diabetes; only time will tell. Unfortunately, many people develop dangerous complications of diabetes with no symptoms until the condition is quite serious. It is important that your husband have regular checkups and works toward an A1c of less than 6.5 % to reduce his risk of complications.

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

I am not sure why your husband has had double vision. However, there are conditions where diabetes involvement of the cranial nerves that control eye movements can be paralyzed. It may be that this has happened.

I would caution your husband about discontinuing insulin. It works very well to lower glucose levels, and if he stops it, what is to prevent the glucose from rebounding back to higher levels? I would suggest your husband speak with his physician about some sort of adjustment of the insulin dose, rather than completely stopping it.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses