Question:

From New York, New York, USA:

I recently went to my gynecologist who was concerned about "a little" sugar in my urine. Could that be a sign of diabetes?

Answer:

Most healthy adults do not show sugar in their urine until their blood sugar is at least 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L], which is high. Diabetes cannot be accurately diagnosed with a urine test. You need to see your primary care provider as soon as possible to have a blood test to see if you may have diabetes, or prediabetes.

JS

Additional comments from Dr. Alan Schorr:

Glucose in the urine does not necessarily indicate diabetes mellitus. You would need additional tests such as a blood glucose. You cannot diagnose diabetes with simply a urine glucose, just as one cannot treat diabetes based on urine glucose.

ABS